In celebration of Veganuary, I have been posting a plant-based recipe almost every day so I thought it was time for a blog post! I have also added a recipe print out at the bottom. So proud of myself.. I am growing up so fast ha ha! I hope you love this flatbread recipe as much as I do.
Makes 2-3 flatbreads
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 5 grams instant yeast
- 490 grams stoneground flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp pink salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 30 grams vegan feta, crumbled
- 1 handful fresh rocket
- 1/2 red onion, sliced and caramalized in maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh fligs, sliced
- 70 grams tomato paste
- 1 tbso balsamic vinegar
- In a bowl, add the warm water + instant yeast and mix to combine.
- Place the flour + salt + sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the yeast mixture + oil.
- Mix together well with hands, making sure all the flour is combined. Place the dough onto a floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Gently roll into a ball and set aside.
- Place the dough into a clean, oiled bowl and cover with plastic. Allow to rest in a warm place for at least 2 hours.
- Once the dough has proofed, place back onto a floured work surface. Cut into 2 or 3 equal portions and reroll into balls. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 210°C and prepare 2 baking trays. Roll out the dough into desired shape and thickness.
- Using the back of a spoon, generously spread the tomato paste on top of the flatbread. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until crispy.
- Once cooked, cut into desired shapes and top with fresh figs + rocket + caramelized onion + vegan feta + drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!
Wild Mushroom Risotto
- 1 cups wild mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt, or season to taste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio / risotto rice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 knob butter
- 1 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
- Place oven rack on the bottom shelf and preheat to 180°C.
- Mix together mushrooms, garlic, thyme, chilli flakes, 1 tbsp olive oil and season. Roast on bottom oven rack for +/- 30 minutes, tossing halfway through until crispy and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil in a Le Creuset Toughened Non-Stick 28cm deep frying pan over medium-high heat and add the onion. Cook until soft and translucent for about 3-4 minutes and add the garlic until fragrant. Stir in rice and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add white wine and bring to a simmer, then add 2 ½ cups of stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in extra sliced mushrooms if desired. Cover and bake for about 15-20 minutes in the oven until the stock has absorbed.
- Return pot to the stove plate over a medium heat and pour in the rest of the stock, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in grated Parmesan, butter and season to taste.
- Top with crispy mushrooms, extra parmesan (optional), parsley and serve immediately.
Tip ~ roll the dough out onto the baking tray prior to adding the tomato paste.