Yip, a classic recipe for when your bananas are ripe and ready!
Perfect to eat warm or to toast the next day, covered in cashew coconut spread or coconut yoghurt!
Pssst.. this loaf also freezes well.
Makes 1 standard loaf
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar / organic brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (if not using protein powder)
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp cinnamon protein superfood mix (optional)
- 1 banana, sliced down the middle
- 1 tbsp cashew coconut spread
Preheat oven to 180°C and prepare a loaf tin. Pour the boiling water over the dates to soak for 5-10 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour + sugar + baking powder + salt + cinnamon. In a measuring cup, whisk warm water + flax seeds together and set aside to thicken. In a small bowl, mix the milk and ACV together until bubbly. Add the coconut oil to the flax “egg” and mix into the dry ingredients until combined.
Drain the dates and mix together with the raisins. Fold into the batter and pour into the prepared loaf tin.
Bake for 35-40 minutes adding the extra sliced banana halfway, if using. Allow to cool before removing from the tin and enjoy it warm or toasted.